Private Rented Housing: Standards

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 8th March 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Greg Mulholland Greg Mulholland Liberal Democrat, Leeds North West

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government if he will encourage local authorities to carry out housing condition surveys to protect tenants from irresponsible landlords.

Photo of Andrew Stunell Andrew Stunell The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Communities and Local Government

Local authorities already have a key role in assessing the condition of housing in their area and it is in their interests to collect information across all housing tenures through housing condition surveys.

Under the Housing Act 2004 they also have powers to inspect individual properties and, where appropriate, take enforcement action under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System. If a property is found to contain serious (category 1) hazards, the local authority has a duty to take the most appropriate action. This could range from trying to deal with the problems informally at first to prohibiting the use of the whole or part of the dwelling.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.