Social Security Benefits

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 20th February 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Davis David Davis Conservative, Haltemprice and Howden

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many people in (a) Haltemprice and Howden constituency, (b) East Yorkshire and (c) Yorkshire and Humber receive over £26,000 per annum in benefits.

Photo of Chris Grayling Chris Grayling The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The information is not available by parliamentary constituency.

In April 2013 the Government propose to cap a household's weekly benefit entitlement at £500 for couples and lone parents, and at £350 for single people without children.

The recent impact assessment (published on 23 January 2012) suggests that 67,000 households may be affected by the household benefit cap. Fewer than 100 households may be affected in East Yorkshire. We estimate that in Yorkshire and Humber around 2,400 households may be affected by the cap.

Some households are excluded from the cap and so may be able to receive benefits exceeding £26,000, these include:

Households entitled to working tax credit;

Households with a claimant, partner or child receiving disability living allowance (or its successor, the personal independence payment), or attendance allowance, or constant attendance allowance; and

War widows and war widowers.

These estimates have not been adjusted for the additional easements announced in the House of Commons on 1 February, which include: the exemption of households who were in receipt of the support component of employment and support allowance; and a nine-month grace period for claimants who were in work for 52 weeks or more before the start of their claim.

Also, the impact assessment assumed that the situation of these households will go unchanged, and they will not take any steps to either work enough hours to qualify for working tax credit, renegotiate their rent in situ, or find alternative accommodation. In all cases the Department is working to support households through this transition, using existing provision through Jobcentre Plus and the Work Programme to move as many into work as possible.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.