Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Government: Ministerial Duties

House of Lords written question – answered on 21st December 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Viscount Waverley Viscount Waverley Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether the Minister for Europe is responsible at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for central Asia; whether he uses the title of Minister for Central Asia when addressing matters regarding central Asia; and, if not, whether he will consider doing so.

Photo of Lord Howell of Guildford Lord Howell of Guildford Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (International Energy Policy)

The Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), my right honourable friend Mr Lidington has a broad-ranging portfolio which includes the European Union (including Gibraltar), Europe, Central Asia, related international organisations and a number of other issues. As the noble Lord knows, the role is known as the Minister for Europe. While this title does not cover the full breadth of the portfolio, it is a sensible reflection of the range of issues covered. Mr Lidington also speaks for the FCO on all foreign policy issues, when necessary.

While Central Asia remains an important component of the Minister's portfolio, he does not use the title "Minister for Central Asia". There are no plans to change this at this time.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.