Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Lords written question – answered on 14th December 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Alton of Liverpool Lord Alton of Liverpool Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government what information Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority licensed centres hold regarding the provenance of donated gametes, in order to minimise risks of consanguinity when used in patient treatment and to ensure informed consent prior to any use in research.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) has advised that patients and donors registering at HFEA licensed centres must provide personal identifying information that is collected on registration forms, blank copies of which are available on the HFEA website at

All patients and donors must complete consent forms prior to embryos, created using their gametes, being used in treatment or in research. It is a condition of all HFEA treatment licences that centres keep such information as is necessary to facilitate the traceability of gametes and embryos.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.