We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Departmental Public Expenditure

Health written question – answered on 12th December 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Liam Byrne Liam Byrne Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how much his Department spent in (a) Birmingham, (b) Newcastle, (c) Wakefield, (d) Manchester, (e) Leeds, (f) Liverpool, (g) Coventry, (h) Bristol, (i) Sheffield, (j) Bradford, (k) Leicester and (l) Nottingham in the latest financial year for which figures are available.

Photo of Simon Burns Simon Burns The Minister of State, Department of Health

The information requested is not collected centrally. Such information as is available is shown in the following table.

Primary care trusts (PCTs) net operating costs, 2010-11
City Primary care trust £000
Birmingham Birmingham East and North PCT 762,260
  Heart of Birmingham Teaching PCT 589,000
  South Birmingham PCT 676,051
Newcastle Newcastle PCT 527,308
Wakefield Wakefield District PCT 651,925
Manchester Manchester PCT 1,045,190
Leeds Leeds PCT 1,303,910
Liverpool Liverpool PCT 1,010,022
Coventry Coventry Teaching PCT 585,246
Bristol Bristol PCT 761,261
Sheffield Sheffield PCT 988,515
Bradford Bradford and Airedale PCT 914,092
Leicester Leicester City PCT 548,802
Nottingham Nottingham City PCT 554,422
Source: Audited summarisation schedules, 2010-11.

This table shows the net operating costs of those PCTs which are geographically the most closely associated with the cities named in the question. These costs do not represent direct expenditure by the Department. PCT expenditure is funded from sums voted by Parliament to the Department. Once those funds are allocated, it is for PCTs to decide locally how the money should be used to address the health needs of their resident populations.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.