We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Lords written question – answered on 12th December 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Alton of Liverpool Lord Alton of Liverpool Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Answers by Earl Howe on 22 November (WA 222) and 30 November (WA 69), what steps were taken by persons responsible or nominal licensees for research licences R0075 and R0133 to provide the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) with any necessary identifying details such that authorised HFEA personnel could then search the donor registry to confirm that individuals had been appropriately contacted by the centre concerned after their gametes had been used in research without their consent.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) has advised that it is not possible to interrogate its register to confirm whether individuals were contacted by the relevant centre in a case where embryos were used in research without the gamete provider's consent. The HFEA has also advised that without further information to identify the gamete provider involved, the centre is unable to check its records to confirm whether such contact was made.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.