Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Right to Buy Scheme: Greater London

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 29th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Amber Rudd Amber Rudd Conservative, Hastings and Rye

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government if he will estimate the number of households in each local authority in London which have a right to buy.

Photo of Grant Shapps Grant Shapps The Minister for Housing

We do not have estimates of the number of households in each local authority area in London which have a right to buy. However, an approximation of this can be observed from related statistics.

Table 100 available at: shows the dwelling stock by tenure in each local authority district. Tenants of occupied local authority owned properties who have been in social housing for five years or more are entitled to right to buy.

Estimates of the number of tenants entitled to right to buy in each local authority area are not available. However, the English Housing Survey provides an estimate of the length of current residency for tenants at a regional level. This shows that in 2009-10 around 300,000 households in local authority owned stock in London had been in their current accommodation for five or more years. However, this does not capture those that have previously been resident in social housing prior to their current accommodation and therefore is likely to be an underestimate of the proportion that are eligible for right to buy.

Furthermore, some tenants living in housing association stock from pre-1989 will also have the right to buy and also some tenants living in housing association stock which has been transferred from local authorities have the preserved right to buy.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.