We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Departmental Older Workers

Defence written question – answered on 29th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Rosindell Andrew Rosindell Conservative, Romford

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many people his Department employs who are aged over (a) 55 and (b) 65 years.

Photo of Andrew Robathan Andrew Robathan The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence

The information requested is provided in the following tables:

Strength of UK regular forces by age at 1 October 2011
Age Total number
55+ 290
55 to 64 290
65 0
Notes: l. UK regular forces includes all trained and untrained personnel. Gurkhas, full-time reserve personnel and mobilised reservists are excluded. 2. Due to ongoing validation of data from the Joint Personnel Administration System, service strength statistics for 1 October 2011 are provisional and subject to review. 3. Due to rounding methods used, figures may not always equal the sum of the parts. When rounding to the nearest 10, numbers ending in 5 have been rounded to the nearest multiple of 20 to prevent systematic bias. Source: DASA (Quad-Service).
Strength of civilian personnel by age at 1 October 2011
Age Total number (headcount)
55+ 18,110
55 to 64 16,690
65+ 1,420
Notes: 1. Headcount is a measure of the size of the work force that counts all people equally regardless of their hours of work. 2. The above includes core MOD and Trading Fund personnel but excludes Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) personnel and locally-engaged civilians (LEC) for whom data in respect of age are not held centrally. 3. All figures are rounded to the nearest 10, totals and sub-totals have been rounded separately and so may not equal the sum of their rounded parts. Source: DASA (Quad-Service).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.