Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health Professions: Qualifications

Health written question – answered on 24th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charlotte Leslie Charlotte Leslie Conservative, Bristol North West

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what information his Department holds on qualification levels assessed for employment purposes in the UK as equivalent to a certificate of completion of training for (a) each EU member state and (b) countries outside the EU.

Photo of Anne Milton Anne Milton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The Department does not hold this information.

The General Medical Council (GMC) maintains a list of postgraduate qualifications they accept as providing sufficient evidence of an overseas doctor's knowledge and skill, for the purpose of full registration with a licence to practise. For European Union doctors, the GMC is required to accept the qualifications of migrants if the member state where the qualifications was obtained is satisfied that they meet the minimum required under the Directive on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.