Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health Professions: Qualifications

Health written question – answered on 24th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charlotte Leslie Charlotte Leslie Conservative, Bristol North West

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what assessment he has made of the equivalence of qualifications gained in EU member states and outside the EU to a certificate of completion of training for employment purposes; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Anne Milton Anne Milton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Doctors must be registered with a licence to practise with the General Medical Council (GMC) to practise medicine in the United Kingdom. All international medical graduates must possess an acceptable primary medical qualification in order to apply for registration with a licence to practise. For European Union doctors, the GMC is required to accept the qualifications of migrants if the member state where the qualifications was obtained is satisfied that they meet the minimum required under the Directive on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.