Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Planning Permission

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 24th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Barry Gardiner Barry Gardiner Labour, Brent North

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether private sector organisations are entitled to present local and neighbourhood plans.

Photo of Greg Clark Greg Clark The Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, Minister of State (Department for Communities and Local Government) (Decentralisation and Cities) (also in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills)

Only local planning authorities can bring forward local plans. Neighbourhood plans can be brought forward by a parish or town council or a designated neighbourhood forum. Neighbourhood forums must be open to all those living or working in the neighbourhood area.

Where a local council designates a neighbourhood as a business area, non-domestic rate payers will also be allowed to vote in the referendum at the end of the neighbourhood planning process. Business areas for neighbourhood planning will be areas which are wholly or predominantly business in nature.

A local authority will be required to put a neighbourhood plan into force where a majority of both voting residents and business rate payers support the plan in the referendum.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.