Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Children: Disability

Education written question – answered on 24th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson Conservative, North Swindon

To ask the Secretary of State for Education what financial and other support is in place to ensure that individuals aged 16 in receipt of disability living allowance are equipped to make informed and responsible financial decisions.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

Under the terms of the new 16-19 bursary fund which was introduced in September 2011, the most vulnerable young people are eligible for a bursary of £1,200 a year—more than they could have received under education maintenance allowance (EMA). This includes disabled young people in receipt of both employment support allowance and disability living allowance.

When we announced the ending of EMA, we set out plans for transitional support for the majority of young people who had received EMA in 2010/11 and were continuing in post-16 education or training in 2011/12. Some young people in receipt of disability living allowance may be receiving weekly payments under these arrangements. It is of course important that young people know how to use their money wisely and make responsible financial decisions. Personal finance is covered within the economic wellbeing and financial capability strand of personal, social, health and economic (PSHE) education for young people under 16. This is a non-statutory programme of study which gives teachers the flexibility to tailor the curriculum to meet the needs of their pupils. Young people aged 16 and over have access to the independent Money Advice Service which was set up by the Government to give free, unbiased money advice to help people make informed choices. Their advice and information is available online, over the phone and face-to-face.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.