Energy Performance Certificates: Holiday Accommodation

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 14th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Stephenson Andrew Stephenson Conservative, Pendle

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether holiday lets are exempt from the need to have energy performance certificates when they are rented out (a) for less than a cumulative period of four months within a 12 month period and (b) through a licensing arrangement where the holidaymaker does not have exclusive use of the property during the period for their booking.

Photo of Grant Shapps Grant Shapps The Minister for Housing

holding answer 10 November 2011

Following the Westminster Hall debate initiated by my hon. Friend, 14 June 2011, Hansard, column 230WH, Ministers have reviewed the implementation of the legislation to see if unnecessary regulations on holiday lets could be removed. This has taken place under the auspices of the Government's Red Tape Challenge.

We have listened carefully to the concerns raised by hon. Members and the tourism industry and have concluded that an energy performance certificate should not be required for a holiday let where:

the property is rented out for less than four months in a year; or it is let under a licence to occupy—regardless of the amount of time it is occupied.

A licence to occupy is an arrangement where the holidaymaker does not have exclusive use of the property; for example, where the property owner or their representative has the right to access the premises during the period of the booking.

My Department will be publishing detailed guidance on this issue shortly. We will also be making appropriate amendments to the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.