Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

State Retirement Pensions: Carers

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 8th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrea Leadsom Andrea Leadsom Conservative, South Northamptonshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many people drawing a state pension are carers.

Photo of Steve Webb Steve Webb The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

In 2009-10 there were an estimated 1.2 million people who were in receipt of state pension and who identified themselves as informal carers.


1. This estimate is derived from the Family Resources Survey which is a nationally representative sample of approximately 25,000 UK private households. Data for 2009-10, the latest year available, were collected between April 2009 and March 2010.

2. The 2009-10 Family Resources Survey estimated that due to under-reporting the number of state pension recipients derived from the survey was 4% less than the number of actual recipients of state pension so the estimates presented should be treated with caution.

3. The figures from the Family Resources Survey are based on a sample of households which have been adjusted for non-response using multi-purpose grossing factors which align the Family Resources Survey to Government Office Region population by age and sex. Estimates are subject to sampling error and remaining non-response error.

4. Figures have been rounded to the nearest 100,000.

5. Informal carers are individuals who provide any regular service or help to someone in or outside of their household who is sick, disabled or elderly, those who give this help as part of a formal job are excluded from this definition. The definition used is not dependent on receipt of a carer's benefit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.