Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Construction: Self-employed

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 8th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stephen Hepburn Stephen Hepburn Labour, Jarrow

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills how many people were self-employed in the construction industry in (a) Jarrow constituency, (b) South Tyneside, (c) the North East and (d) the UK in each year since 1997.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office, The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office

I have been asked to reply.

The information requested falls within the responsibility of the UK Statistics Authority. I have asked the authority to reply.

Letter from Stephen Penneck, dated November 2011

As Director General, I have been asked to reply to your Parliamentary Question asking how many people were self-employed in the construction industry in (a) Jarrow constituency, (b) South Tyneside, (c) the North East and (d) the UK in each year since 1997. (79391)

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) compiles employment statistics for local areas from the Annual Population Survey (APS) and its predecessor the annual Labour Force Survey (LFS) following International Labour Organisation (ILO) definitions.

Due to small sample sizes, estimates are not available for the Jarrow constituency and South Tyneside. Estimates are also not available for periods 1997 to 1999 or for the UK for some periods - estimates for Great Britain have been provided as an alternative.

Table 1 shows the number of people self-employed in the construction industry in the available geographies for the 12 month periods ending in February for 2000 to 2004 from the LFS and for the 12 month periods ending in March for 2005 to 2011.

As with any sample survey, estimates from the APS are subject to a margin of uncertainty. A guide to the quality of the estimates is given in the table.

National and local area estimates for many labour market statistics, including employment, unemployment and claimant count are available on the NOMIS website at:

http://www.nomisweb.co.uk

Table 1. Number of persons (1) self-employed in the construction industry in each year since 2000
Thousand
12 months ending: North east Great Britain UK
February 2000 16 622 n/a
February 2001 13 630 n/a
February 2002 14 665 n/a
February 2003 18 698 n/a
February 2004 18 756 787
March 2005 20 795 828
March 2006 24 805 836
March 2007 24 830 860
March 2008 25 839 870
March 2009 24 815 845
March 2010 19 780 810
March 2011(2) **21 *767 *794
n/a = Data not available. (1) Persons aged 16 and over. (2) Coefficients of Variation have been calculated for the latest period as an indication of the quality of the estimates. See Guide to Quality below. Guide to Quality: The Coefficient of Variation (CV) indicates the quality of an estimate, the smaller the CV value the higher the quality. The true value is likely to lie within +/- twice the CV—for example, for an estimate of 200 with a CV of 5 per cent. we would expect the population total to be within the range 180-220 Key: * 0 = CV<5%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered precise ** 5 = CV <10%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered reasonably precise *** 10 = CV <20%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered acceptable **** CV ? 20%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered too unreliable for practical purposes CV = Coefficient of Variation Source: Annual Population Survey and Annual Labour Force Survey

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.