Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Feed-in Tariffs: Housing

Energy and Climate Change written question – answered on 8th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ian Lucas Ian Lucas Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change if he will estimate the average cost to homeowners of bringing a property up to level C energy performance certificate rating before qualifying for eligibility for receipt of the feed-in tariff.

Photo of Gregory Barker Gregory Barker The Minister of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change

The Government's current consultation on feed-in tariffs for solar photovoltaics (PV) sets out two options for strengthening the link between energy efficiency and FITs. The first option is that only buildings with an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of level C would be eligible for the standard FITs rates for solar PV.

The costs of reaching level C will vary depending on the base-level energy performance of the building in question. However, we estimate that for a typical house, an investment of up to £5,600 in energy efficiency measures may be required to bring a property up to level C.

From autumn 2012, the measures necessary to meet level C would be largely financeable through the Green Deal. Prior to that, the carbon emissions reduction target (CERT) scheme may also be able to provide a proportion of the installation costs for the more basic measures.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.