Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

UK Border Agency: Manpower

Home Department written question – answered on 8th November 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nia Griffith Nia Griffith Shadow Minister (Wales)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many UK Border Agency officers were employed in each of the agency's regions in (a) 2007, (b) 2008, (c) 2010 and (d) 2011.

Photo of Damian Green Damian Green The Minister for Immigration

The periods requested cover both the Border and Immigration Agency and the UK Border Agency as shown. The increase in staffing between 2008 and 2010 is the machinery of government transfer of border detection from HM Revenue and Customs and UK Visas from Foreign and Commonwealth Office to the UK Border Agency.

  Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) UK Border Agency (UKBA)
Region 31 March 2007 FTE (1) 31 March 2008 FTE 31 March 2010 FTE 30 September 2011 FTE
(a) London and the South East 12,101 11,464 13,762 12,189
(b) Midlands and the East of England 930 892 1,638 1,281
(c) North East, Yorkshire and Humber(2) 2,478 2,433 2,562 2,327
(d) North West(2) 2,438 2,485 2,887 2,508
(e) Scotland and Northern Ireland 386 403 652 604
(f) Wales and South West 269 360 638 598
Overseas(3) 90 87 2,309 2,130
Other(4) 205 133 18 5
UK Border Agency total 18,896 18,258 24,467 21,642
(1 )Full-time equivalent actuals, excluding staff on unpaid maternity leave, career break, special leave, or loan to other Government Departments. (2) Some locations have been reattributed between these areas following Cabinet Office guidance. (3) The 2007-08 figures relate to European posting, the 2010-11 figures include the international visa function. (4) Staff whose location was not recorded centrally.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.