Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Lords written question – answered on 7th July 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord German Lord German Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty's Government what is the average rate of basic state pension paid to claimants normally resident in (a) Australia, (b) Canada, (c) South Africa, and (d) New Zealand.

Photo of Lord Freud Lord Freud The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

The information available is in the table.

Average weekly amount of State Pension paid to claimants resident in Australia, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand as at November 2010
Country Average amount
Australia 34.50
Canada 30.45
South Africa 41.20
New Zealand 34.90

Source: DWP Information Directorate: Work and Pensions Longitudinal Study


1. Average amounts are shown as pounds per week and rounded to the nearest penny.

2. From April 2010, the age at which women reach state pension age started to gradually increase from 60. This will introduce a small increase to the number of working age benefit recipients and a small reduction to the number of pension age recipients. Figures from May 2010 onwards reflect this change. For more information see

3. Around 1 per cent. of state pension recipients are not in receipt of the basic state pension, but are receiving additional pension only or graduated retirement benefit only.

4. Average weekly amount of benefit-The amount of state pension is affected by the introduction in April 2003 of child tax credit. From that date there were no new child dependency increases (CDIs) awarded to SP claimants, although existing CDls were transitionally protected.

5. Information is published on our tabulation tool at

6. The rate of state pension which a person is entitled to is not increased by the annual uprating of benefit rates if that person is not ordinarily resident in GB, or another EEA member state or Switzerland, or a country with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement. This is referred to as frozen rate.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.