Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Care Quality Commission

Health written question – answered on 8th June 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Martin McDonnell John Martin McDonnell Labour, Hayes and Harlington

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what professional support he expects the Care Quality Commission inspectors to receive from (a) dental and (b) medical advisors to assist them in inspecting dental and GP services.

Photo of Simon Burns Simon Burns The Minister of State, Department of Health

In terms of delivering its regulatory functions, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) is an independent body and it is therefore responsible for determining what professional support and input are required in order to undertake its functions efficiently and effectively.

The following information has been provided by the CQC:

The CQC has access to a team of national professional advisers and policy experts who work across a range of types of health and social care services. This team includes a variety of clinical and social care professionals and those with policy expertise in a variety of areas. National professional advisors include a general practitioner (GP), a surgeon, a nurse (who also covers midwifery), a radiologist, a dentist, and a social care professional.

The dental practitioner acts as an adviser for the development of training and is available for post-training advice and support.

The GP is currently involved in the planning and development of training for sector overview, registration and monitoring of compliance. Further GP involvement regarding post-training advice and support has not been determined as yet.

National professional advisers support compliance inspectors and are often involved in the planning for site visits. They also play an important role in the CQC assurance processes, including the monthly outliers panel and the Safeguarding Committee.

In the event that the CQC does not have the relevant expertise, the national professional advisors will seek to identify an external expert through contacts such as the relevant Royal Colleges.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.