Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Spinal Cord Injuries: Rehabilitation

Health written question – answered on 8th June 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will assess the rehabilitation requirements of people with spinal cord injuries who are not treated in specialist spinal cord injury centres; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Paul Burstow Paul Burstow The Minister of State, Department of Health

Most spinal injuries are caused by road traffic accidents and sports injuries. The Spinal Injuries Association estimate that around 40,000 people are currently living with a spinal cord injury in the United Kingdom.

Around 825 people are treated each year in the 11 United Kingdom specialist spinal injuries centres. These are based in Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Oswestry, Sheffield, Southport, Stanmore, Stoke Mandeville, and Wakefield.

Patients with a spinal injury will be referred to a specialist centre following initial treatment at a local hospital.

Commissioning arrangements for specialised services, such as spinal injury services, have been strengthened by the publication in July 2006 of “Health Reform in England: Update and Commissioning Framework”. The framework was informed by the “Review of Commissioning Arrangements for Specialised Services”, under the leadership of Professor Sir David Carter, former Chief Medical Officer for Scotland.

Through specialised commissioning groups, primary care trusts work collectively to plan, commission and monitor specialised services for those with spinal injuries.

It is the responsibility of health professionals to assess the rehabilitation of all those living with spinal injuries.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.