Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Brain: Injuries

Health written question – answered on 12th May 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gregg McClymont Gregg McClymont Labour, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East

To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will take steps to improve the provision of long-term care and support for those with brain injuries.

Photo of Paul Burstow Paul Burstow The Minister of State, Department of Health

Responsibility for commissioning services to meet the needs of those living with brain injuries lies with local heath bodies and, as brain injury rehabilitation services are classed as a specialised service, they are currently commissioned by the 10 regional groups.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.


John Young
Posted on 14 May 2011 3:27 pm (Report this annotation)

I have and am living with a long term illness due to a brain injury i received 32 years ago.This has given me long and varied experience of the NHS,and the shortfalls that i have met.I have also gained invaluable knowledge of my own predicament by carrying out voluntary tasks with others in my own predicament.
From what i can see of Paul Burstows reply,he doesn't seem to have the knowledge of the service he is trying to manage.This is a specialised service as are all services,but with a little knowledge and common sense,they can become services that can be managed correctly.Bridges need to be built and strong enough to manage the currents of ignorance and discontent.