Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Higher Education: Performance Indicators

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 12th May 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tessa Munt Tessa Munt Liberal Democrat, Wells

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills what the (a) drop-out and (b) course transfer rate at each university in England was for students starting degrees in (i) 2005, (ii) 2006, (iii) 2007, (iv) 2008, (v) 2009 and (vi) 2010.

Photo of David Willetts David Willetts Minister of State (Universities and Science)

The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) Performance Indicators in Higher Education provide information on drop-out and course transfer rates at institution level for UK-domiciled students.

HESA produces two indicators which can be used as drop-out rates. Non-continuation considers students who start in a given academic year and identifies whether they are still in higher education one year later, for full-time students, or two years later, for part-time students. Non-completion refers to projected outcomes over a longer period based on the current pattern of students' behaviour. Information on non-continuation, non-completion and course transfer at institution level is available from HESA at this link to their website: =view&id=2064&ltemid=141

The latest available information is for the 2008/09 academic year. Figures for the 2009/10 academic year will become available from HESA in April 2012. More information on the HESA Performance Indicators in Higher Education is available at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.