To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
(2) how many individuals living in Ealing, Southall constituency have received financial support from Government to complete an English for Speakers of Other Languages course in each of the last five years;
(3) how many individuals under the age of 26 years living in Ealing, Southall constituency enrolled on an English for Speakers of Other Languages course in each of the last five years;
(4) how many women living in Ealing, Southall constituency enrolled on an English for Speakers of Other Languages course in each of the last five years
(5) how many individuals living in Ealing, Southall constituency were enrolled on an English for Speakers of Other Languages course in each of the last five years.
The following table shows the number of Government-funded learners in Ealing Southall constituency participating on an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course by age and gender from 2005/06, the earliest year for which we have comparable data, to 2009/10, the latest year for which full-year data are available.
|The number of learners participating on ESOL courses in Ealing Southall constituency by age and gender, 2005/06 to 2009/10|
|Age||Female||Male||Total ESOL participation|
| Notes: |
1. These data cover participation in Learner Responsive, Apprenticeships, Train to Gain, Adult Safeguarded Learning and University for Industry provision. Further Education/Learner Responsive provision includes General Further Education Colleges including Tertiary, Sixth Form Colleges - Agricultural and Horticultural Colleges and Art and Design Colleges, Specialist Colleges and External Institutions.
2. Volumes are rounded to the nearest 10.
3. Figures for 2008/09 onwards are not directly comparable to earlier years as the introduction of demand-led funding has changed how data are collected and how funded learners are defined. More information on demand-led funding is available at:
4. Age is based on age at the start of the academic year.
5. Geography is based on learners' home postcode.
Information on participation on ESOL courses is published in a quarterly statistical first release (SFR). The latest SFR was published on
Information on historical ESOL funding at the local geography level is not available. However, the Skills Funding Agency publish information on adult (19 years+) allocations made to individual colleges, providers and employers for each academic year available at the following link: