Environment: Policy

House of Lords written question – answered at on 23 March 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Hunt of Chesterton Lord Hunt of Chesterton Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government from which institutions they will obtain independent advice on environmental policies following the proposed abolition of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution and the Sustainable Development Commission; and how that advice will be funded to ensure it is independent.

Photo of Lord Henley Lord Henley The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The Government will use a number of mechanisms, including working through its Foresight Programme and with the Royal Society and the Living with Environmental Change Partnership to obtain independent advice to inform environmental policies. The Government will continue to fund scientific research to provide advice required for evidence-based policy making.

In terms of sustainable development, Defra has contributed the major share of funding to the Sustainable Development Research Network since 2006, which brings together more than 500 private and public organisations and over 2,000 individuals with an interest in sustainability both nationally and internationally. It provides cost effective access to academic and business expertise, shares knowledge and disseminates best practice. Due to the cross-cutting nature of sustainable development, Defra will be seeking funding contributions from other government departments for the network to continue to build upon what has been achieved so far.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.