Special Educational Needs: Hearing Impairment

Education written question – answered on 8th March 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charlotte Leslie Charlotte Leslie Conservative, Bristol North West

To ask the Secretary of State for Education what plans his Department has to require local authorities to collect data on the (a) achievement and (b) attainment of deaf children.

Photo of Sarah Teather Sarah Teather The Minister of State, Department for Education

The Department does not require local authorities to provide specific information on deaf children.

The Special Educational Needs Information Act (2008) requires the annual publication of information about children in England with special educational needs. The information published includes local authority data on outcomes for these children by SEN type, including hearing impairment, at key stages 2 and 4 in English, maths and science.

The Schools White Paper "The Importance of Teaching" set out our intention to publish easy to understand data about how well pupils achieve so that schools and local authority areas are more accountable to parents. The Green Paper on special educational needs and disabilities will explore how to increase transparency so that parents know how their child is to be supported and how their child is progressing.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.