Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

British Nationals Abroad: Homicide

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 9th February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jackie Doyle-Price Jackie Doyle-Price Conservative, Thurrock

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs when he expects to publish the protocol developed by his Department and the Victim Support National Homicide Service.

Photo of Jeremy Browne Jeremy Browne The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office

We have no current plans to publish the agreement between Victim Support National Homicide Service and our Consular Directorate. However, I have passed a copy to the non-governmental organisation 'Support After Murder and Manslaughter' (SAMM) Abroad, and am arranging for a copy to be placed in the Library of the House of Commons.

This agreement ensures that consular staff in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office notify Victim Support National Homicide Service of the murder of a British national abroad if the bereaved family are resident in England or Wales. Consular staff will then advise the family of the service provided by Victim Support and, with the family's consent, a Victim Support caseworker will contact them to arrange a meeting.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.