Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Home Department written question – answered on 9th February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Priti Patel Priti Patel Conservative, Witham

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many immigrants who have entered the UK illegally claimed asylum following detection in each year for which figures are available; how many of those were granted asylum; how many of those were refused permission to remain in the UK and asked to leave the UK; and how many left the UK in each year.

Photo of Damian Green Damian Green The Minister for Immigration

In answering this question we have interpreted illegal immigrants as individuals who have been served papers as immigration offenders, prior to claiming asylum.

The information requested is shown in the following table:

2008 2009 2010
Claimed asylum following detection(1, 2) 16,998 13,356 9,827
Granted(1, 2)(, 3) 4,528 3,117 2,224
Refused(1, 2)(, 4) 9,583 7,612 5,784
Other(1, 2)(, 5) 2,887 2,627 1,819
Total Removed(1, 2) 3,229 2,529 1,536
(1) Data are for individuals served papers as immigration offenders, who subsequently claimed asylum in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

(2) Data relates to the main applicants only.

(3) Data relates to the number granted asylum (including Humanitarian Protection and Discretionary Leave) at first decision.

(4) Data relates to the number refused asylum at first decision.

(5) Data relates to Other outcomes (e.g. as yet unconcluded cases, withdrawn by applicant, withdrawn absconder, applicant deceased, applicant left UK, Third Country action accepted.)


1. All figures quoted are internal management information only and are subject to change.

2. This information has not been quality assured under National Statistics protocols.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.