Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

General Practitioners: Manpower

Health written question – answered on 3rd February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Maynard Paul Maynard Conservative, Blackpool North and Cleveleys

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what recent estimate he has made of the ratio of GPs to population in (a) Blackpool North and Cleveleys constituency, (b) Lancashire and (c) England.

Photo of Simon Burns Simon Burns The Minister of State, Department of Health

General practitioner (GP) work force census data are not available by county or constituency area. Blackpool North and Cleveleys constituency is contained within and serviced by Blackpool Primary Care Trust (PCT) and North Lancashire PCT. The ratio of GPs per 100,000 head of population for Blackpool PCT is 70 and for North Lancashire PCT is 63.8.

The five PCTs provided cover all the districts of Lancashire so for Lancashire the ratio of GPs per 100,000 head of population is 61.2 and for England the ratio is 69.3.

The information is collected by the NHS Information Centre and is shown in the following table:

GPs (excluding retainers and registrars) per head of population in select areas, as at 30 September 2009
GPs (excluding retainers and registrars) GPs (excluding retainers and registrars) per 100,000 population
England 35,917 69.3
Lancashire 885 61.2
Blackburn with Darwen PCT 95 67.9
Blackpool PCT 98 70.0
North Lancashire Teaching PCT 209 63.8
Central Lancashire PCT 262 57.2
East Lancashire Teaching PCT 221 58.0

The NHS Information Centre for health and social care General and Personal Medical Services Statistics

Office for National Statistics, 2009 Final Mid-Year Population Estimates (2001 census based), adjusted May 2010 to reflect revisions to migration methodology

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.