Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health: EEA Countries

House of Lords written question – answered on 3rd February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Laird Lord Laird UUP

To ask Her Majesty's Government how many United Kingdom pensioners and members of their families living in each non-waiver European Economic Area state were in 2009-10 on the list each country maintained for the purposes of calculating refunds of sickness and maternity costs under Article 95 of Council Regulation (EEC) No. 574/72.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The following table shows the number of pensioners and members of their families registered, as at 24 January 2011, for the calendar years 2009 and 2010, as living in another member state of the European economic area (EEA) or Switzerland, under regulations 1408/71 and 574/72, and from 1 May 2010, under regulations 883/2004 and 987/2009, for member states of the European Union. Such records are kept on a calendar-year basis, as that is the basis on which claims are calculated under the regulations.

Number of registrations of United Kingdom pensioners and family members in another EEA member state or Switzerland
Calendar year 2009 2010
Austria 605 587
Belgium 637 609
Bulgaria 277 322
Cyprus 11,627 11,548
Czech Republic 82 88
Denmark 28 25
Estonia 15 17
Finland 30 33
France 45,083 45,019
Germany 3,091 3,001
Greece 3,126 3,046
Hungary 425 421
Iceland 13 13
Italy 3,251 3,134
Latvia 42 41
Lithuania 17 20
Luxembourg 54 53
Malta 2,305 2,409
The Netherlands 334 295
Norway 57 54
Poland 491 482
Portugal 2,503 2,567
Romania 12 11
Slovakia 19 18
Slovenia 56 55
Spain 79,354 78,021
Sweden 164 149
Switzerland 352 348

There are no registrations recorded for Liechtenstein.

UK pensioners and members of their families living in Ireland are accounted for differently, in accordance with the bilateral agreement between the UK and Ireland.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.