Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health: EEA Countries

House of Lords written question – answered on 3rd February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Laird Lord Laird UUP

To ask Her Majesty's Government how many United Kingdom members of families of employed and self-employed persons living in each non-waiver European Economic Area state were in 2009-10 on the list each country maintained for the purposes of calculating refunds of sickness and maternity costs under Article 94 of Council Regulation (EEC) No. 574/72.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The following table shows the number of members of families of United Kingdom employed and self-employed persons registered, as at 24 January 2011, for the calendar years 2009 and 2010, as living in another member state of the European economic area or Switzerland, under regulations 1408/71 and 574/72, and from 1 May 2010, under regulations 883/2004 and 987/2009, for member states of the European Union. Such records are kept on a calendar-year basis, as that is the basis on which claims are calculated under the regulations.

Number of registrations of UK family members of employed and self-employed persons
Calendar year 2009 2010
Austria 16 11
Belgium 23 14
Cyprus 6 3
Czech Republic 33 24
France 670 440
Germany 101 70
Greece 5 6
Hungary 10 5
Italy 5 2
Luxembourg 3
The Netherlands 4 3
Poland 2,533 1,680
Portugal 5 1
Slovakia 2 2
Spain 97 67
Switzerland 3 1

There were no registrations recorded for Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, Romania, Slovenia and Sweden.

Members of the families of UK employed and self-employed persons living in Ireland are accounted for differently, in accordance with the bilateral agreement between the UK and Ireland.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.