Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Care Services: Elderly People

House of Lords written question – answered on 3rd February 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Taylor of Warwick Lord Taylor of Warwick Non-affiliated

To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to ensure that the level of care provided to the elderly is consistent across the country.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The outcome frameworks for health, social care and public health will set out outcomes relevant to older people. Local communities will be able to use the outcomes to hold the health and care system to account, including through health and well-being boards and local HealthWatch.

In addition, on 4 January 2011, the department made additional funding of £162 million available to primary care trusts (PCTs) which will transfer to local authorities for immediate spending on social care services to benefit health and to improve overall health gain including for older people. Also, £648 million will be transferred from PCTs to local authorities to spend on social care services that also benefit health. PCTs will need to work together with local authorities to agree jointly on appropriate areas for social care investment and the outcomes expected from this investment. Also, the department's best practice tariff incentivises high-quality care in hip fracture (a key issue affecting older patients).

Moreover, funding of £70 million has been made available for reablement and post-discharge support in 2010-11. From April, this rises to £150 million and, after that, £300 million each year has been earmarked for reablement up to March 2015. It will be for PCTs to work with local authorities to develop local reablement capacity and it is for local discretion the proportion of spend on the National Health Service and social care.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.