Cannabis: Misuse

Health written question – answered on 26th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charles Walker Charles Walker Conservative, Broxbourne

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what NHS treatment is available for persons (a) under 18 and (b) 18 and over for addiction to cannabis or skunk cannabis; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Anne Milton Anne Milton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Psychosocial interventions are the mainstay of treatment for cannabis misuse for people of all ages. 'Drug misuse and dependence UK guidelines on clinical management (2007)' notes that there are no medications suitable for treating cannabis misuse and advises that clinicians should consider psychosocial interventions, especially brief motivational interventions in mild cases. More heavily dependent misusers may require structured treatment. In cases of co-morbidity with depression and anxiety, treatment will include cognitive behavioural therapies.

With regard to under-18s, local authorities will be supported in carrying out a local needs assessment and planning for the full range of services that will respond to young people's substance misuse needs, and also enable them to have clear protocols in place to meet the needs of vulnerable young people.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.


Harry McCulla
Posted on 28 Jan 2011 6:47 am (Report this annotation)

The question is about cannabis addiction, the answer is about cannabis misuse.