Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Employment Services: Females

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 24th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chi Onwurah Chi Onwurah Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills)

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills what plans he has for the provision of information on resources available to assist women and girls to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics following the withdrawal of funding to the UK Resource Centre for Women in Science Engineering and Technology.

Photo of David Willetts David Willetts Minister of State (Universities and Science)

Information on careers is currently available from a range of sources. The Department funds a number of initiatives which promote STEM careers including the Big Bang Fair, the STEMNET Ambassador programme, and the work of the National Academies, and works with a wider range of partners who work to raise awareness of STEM across society.

The new all-age careers service will bring together guidance resources for young people aged 13 to 19 and adults. They aim to provide professional, impartial, independent, comprehensive and diverse careers guidance to help young people and adults make informed choices about their careers, skills and learning, and to tackle any barriers to progression that they may face. They are working with the Careers Profession Alliance so that advisers have the up-to-date knowledge and skills they need to advise on career prospects, including for STEM subjects.

My officials will work with UKRC to secure continuing access to the information the organisation has collated in recent years on STEM career resources for women and girls.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.