Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Lords written question – answered on 24th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Laird Lord Laird UUP

To ask Her Majesty's Government which social security benefits United Kingdom recipients can continue to receive while abroad and which cease when no longer residing in this country.

Photo of Lord Freud Lord Freud The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

A person moving to or residing in another EEA country or Switzerland can continue to receive the following benefits if they have satisfied the conditions of entitlement:

state retirement pension;contributory jobseeker's allowance but only for up to three months;contributory employment and support allowance and long-term incapacity benefit;bereavement benefits;industrial injuries benefits;winter fuel payment provided the person was entitled to it before they left the UK;disability living allowance (care component), attendance allowance and carer's allowance;maternity and paternity benefits which are based on a period of employment and a level of earnings;child benefit and child tax credit; andguardian's allowance

Domestic law provides for some benefits to be paid wherever a person resides abroad:

state retirement pension;bereavement benefits;industrial injuries benefits; andguardian's allowance

In addition to these benefits, under a small number of reciprocal social security agreements with other countries, persons living in those countries can also be paid state maternity allowance, child benefit and long-term invalidity benefit. Some other benefits can be paid, depending on the circumstances, for a period when a person is temporarily absent from the UK.

The income-related benefits (income-based jobseeker's allowance, income-based employment and support allowance, income support, state pension credit, housing benefit and council tax benefit), are not payable to persons residing abroad. The mobility component of DLA is also not exportable.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.