Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Taxation: Code Errors

House of Lords written question – answered on 24th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Taylor of Warwick Lord Taylor of Warwick Non-affiliated

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether they plan to write off tax bills for pensioners who are victims of tax code errors.

Photo of Lord Sassoon Lord Sassoon The Commercial Secretary to the Treasury

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is allowed under Extra Statutory Concession A19 to forgo the collection of tax in certain circumstances. The concession is available where information has been provided to HMRC, HMRC has failed to act on it timeously, and the customer could reasonably have believed their tax affairs were in order.

The Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury made a statement on 11 January 2011 (Hansard,11 January col. 9WS) about a certain category of pensioners where the terms of this concession would apply. Other pensioners who have underpaid Pay As You Earn tax who believe they meet these conditions will need to make a claim to HMRC for concessionary treatment.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.