Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Research

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 18th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris White Chris White Conservative, Warwick and Leamington

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills what steps his Department is taking to support research on myalgic encephalomyelitis; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of David Willetts David Willetts Minister of State (Universities and Science)

The Medical Research Council (MRC) is an independent body which receives its grant-in-aid from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The MRC is one of the main agencies through which the Government supports medical and clinical research. In keeping with the Haldane principle, prioritisation of an individual Research Council's spending within its allocation is not a decision for Ministers.

The MRC supports research into all aspects of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME), and welcomes high-quality research applications in this area. The MRC does not normally commission research but supports high-quality investigator led proposals submitted in open competition, the selection of projects for funding is determined through peer review.

An Expert Group on CFS/ME established by the MRC has worked with experts in the field of CFS/ME and research leaders in aligned areas to identify and prioritise research topics where the MRC might target efforts to encourage and support high-quality proposals. The MRC is now preparing to take forward these recommendations.

Further information on research supported by the MRC and about the work of the group, including the recommendations for research topics and priorities can be found at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.