Care Homes: Allowances

House of Lords written question – answered on 10th January 2011.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Browning Baroness Browning Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government how many adults currently residing in care homes are in receipt of personal budgets.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

This information is not held centrally as it is government policy to reduce burden on local councils and primary care trusts which would be the bodies responsible for collecting these data.

A personal budget can be taken by an individual as a direct (cash) payment; as an account held and managed by the council in line with the individual's wishes; or as an account placed with a third party (provider) and called off by the individual; or as a mixture of these approaches. Direct payments are intended to support independent living and, as such, they cannot be used to pay for adults to live for the long term in residential care.

They can be made to enable people to purchase for themselves a short stay in residential care, provided that the stay does not exceed a period of four consecutive weeks in any 12-month period. They may also be used by people living in a care home in relation to non-residential care services; for example, they may have temporary access to direct payments to try out independent living arrangements.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.