Coastal Erosion

House of Lords written question – answered on 26th July 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Byford Baroness Byford Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Statement by Lord Davies of Oldham on 30 March (WS 183), in what circumstances the coastal erosion assistance grant is made available to homeowners.

Photo of Lord Henley Lord Henley The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Coastal local authorities are able to apply for a coastal erosion assistance grant of £6,000. The grant is intended to help with the initial transitional costs associated with loss of a residential property as a result of coastal erosion in instances where no alternative provision such as insurance is available. Principally, it will be available to help with the costs associated with demolishing any residential property at risk of loss because of coastal erosion. It may then additionally be used by the authority to help with basic moving costs where this would be appropriate.

The assistance grant is available in areas regardless of whether the property has been defended or not. To qualify for the support, the property must have been purchased prior to 15 June 2009, which was the first day of the grant's consultation period. It should additionally have been vacated by agreement, demolished or lost to erosion after this date.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.