Diplomatic Service

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 21st July 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jeremy Corbyn Jeremy Corbyn Labour, Islington North

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what guidance his Department has issued to UK embassies on support and assistance that should be offered to UK nationals undertaking human rights monitoring or advocacy in other jurisdictions.

Photo of David Lidington David Lidington The Minister for Europe

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is committed to providing high quality consular support to British nationals travelling or resident overseas. Information on how the FCO can help British nationals is set out in the public guide 'Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide'. The publication is available on the FCO website at:


Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice is an authoritative source of travel safety information for all British nationals (regardless of their purpose of travel). See the FCO website:


Our embassies implement the EU Guidelines on Human Rights Defenders which apply to all individuals promoting or protecting human rights (including UK nationals). The Guidelines provide practical guidance to EU member states' embassies and EU Representations and Delegations abroad on how to fulfil the commitment in EU Common Foreign and Security Policy to promote and encourage respect for the right to defend human rights. This policy is based on the premise of the UN human rights system (i) that member states are responsible for ensuring that the rights of individuals, as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and in the UN human rights conventions which they have ratified, are respected and protected within their jurisdictions and (ii) that all member states share this responsibility to respect and promote these universal rights for all individuals everywhere.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.