Data on the special educational needs status of excluded pupils are collected at the time of exclusion. Information relating to the number of permanent exclusions by SEN status since 1997 is published in table 7 of the Statistical First Release published at
Data on fixed period exclusions were collected for the first time in 2003/04; in 2005/06 it was collected for secondary schools only. The available information relating to the number of fixed period exclusions (not the number of pupils) by SEN status between 2003/04 and 2006/07 is published in table 8 of the Statistical First Release published at
The number of fixed period exclusions by SEN status for 2007/08 is available in table 8a of the Statistical First Release published at:
Some analysis has been carried out for 2007/08 on the number of excluded pupil enrolments, as shown in the table. A pupil's SEN status can change between periods of exclusion; therefore data relating to the SEN status of excluded pupil enrolments has been based on their SEN status at the time of their most recent fixed period or permanent exclusion. To carry out this analysis for further years would incur disproportionate cost.
|Maintained primary, state-funded secondary and special schools( 1, 2, 3) number and percentage of pupil enrolments receiving one or more fixed period exclusions or a permanent exclusion by special educational needs (SEN) England, 2007/08 (estimates)( 4)|
|One or more fixed period exclusions||Permanent exclusion( 4)|
|Number of pupil enrolments||Percentage of school population( 5)||Number of pupil enrolments||Percentage of school population( 5)|
|Statement of SEN(6)||17,970||8.42||700||0.33|
|SEN without a statement(6)||96,290||7.26||5,080||0.38|
|(1) Includes middle schools as deemed. |
(2) Includes city technology colleges and academies (including all-through academies).
(3) Includes maintained and non-maintained special schools. Excludes general hospital schools.
(4) Figures relating to permanent exclusions are estimates based on incomplete pupil-level data.
(5) The number of pupil enrolments who received exclusions expressed as a percentage of the number (headcount) of all pupils (excluding dually registered pupils) by SEN, in January 2008.
(6) Pupils' SEN status at the time of their most recent fixed period or permanent exclusion.
Figures have been rounded to the nearest 10.