Coastal Erosion

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 6th April 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Whittingdale John Whittingdale Chair, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, Vice-Chair, Conservative 1922 Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what compensation is payable to owners of land lost as a result of the Environment Agency's Managed Realignment programme.

Photo of Huw Irranca-Davies Huw Irranca-Davies Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Marine and Natural Environment)

Where the Environment Agency has carried out the managed realignment of existing raised defences any land owner who considers that they have been adversely affected can make a claim for compensation. The legal provisions for this are set out in section 177 and Schedule 21 of the Water Resources Act 1991.

The value of damages and losses is assessed by professional valuers acting for the Environment Agency and it pays for the costs of a professional valuer to act on behalf of the landowner. All claims are assessed on their own merits and if agreement cannot be reached the matter can be referred to the Lands Tribunal. The level of compensation paid will vary depending upon the local circumstances and the damage suffered.

If the Environment Agency secures agreement to buy the land then it is purchased at the market value.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.