The Tribunals Service is only able to provide figures for each administrative area from 2007-08. Prior to this, disability living allowance appeals were administered by the Appeals Service, an agency of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). The DWP is unable to break down its figures in the way the hon. Member has requested.
The First-tier Tribunal-Social Security and Child Support has seven administrative centres across the country. The following information is the most comprehensive that the Tribunals Service Management Information system can provide.
|Disability living allowance: clearances at hearing by centre|
|2005-06||2006-07||2007-08||2008-09||2009-10 (up to 28 February 2010)( 1)|
|Birmingham (East and West Midlands and East of England Government Office Regions) and (London Government(2) Office Region)||*||*||6,445||8,846||9,054|
|Cardiff (Wales) and South West Government Office Region||*||*||7,931||7,285||7,269|
|Leeds (Yorkshire and the Humber Government Office Region)||*||*||5,095||5,382||4,330|
|North West (North West Government Office Region)||*||*||8,034||8,563||8,090|
|Newcastle (North East Government Office Region)||*||*||3,535||3,452||3,228|
|Sutton(4) (South East and London(2) Government Office Regions)||*||*||4,342||3,308||4,282|
|"*" = Figures for April 2006 to March 2007 are unavailable. |
(1) Figures provided for April 2009 to February 2010 are provisional and subject to further change.
(2) Covers whole of Government Office Region London except Hillingdon, Harrow, Barnet, Enfield, Haringey, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge, Waltham Forest and Hackney which are covered by Birmingham.
(3) The Nottingham office transferred its caseload which covered the East Midlands, East of England and part of the London region (see 2 above) to the Birmingham office on 18 December 2009.
(4) Prior to 29 June 2009, part of Sutton's caseload was administered by the Nottingham office and is included in the Nottingham figures up until that date.
1. Figures provided for financial years April 2007 to February 2010 were extracted from GAPS 2 (Generic Appeals Processing System) Statistical Summary Reports dated 25 March 2010.
2. Figures prior to April 2007 supplied by DWP. From April 2006 there was a transitional period when DWP recorded data on more than one computer system (GAPS 1 and GAPS 2). Some information was not updated on the system and as a result a breakdown by area is not available.