Social Security Benefits: Cambridgeshire

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 30th March 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Shailesh Vara Shailesh Vara Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many people received (a) jobseeker's allowance, (b) income support and (c) incapacity benefit in North-West Cambridgeshire constituency in each of the last 10 years; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Helen Goodman Helen Goodman Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Work and Pensions)

Unemployment in the UK at the end of 2009 was more than 450,000 lower than had been predicted at the time of the 2009 Budget.

The available information is in the following table.

Number of claimants of jobseeker's allowance (JSA), incapacity benefit/severe disablement allowance (IB/SDA) and income support (IS) in North West Cambridgeshire, as at August in each of the last 10 years
As at August each year JSA IB/SDA IS
2000 860 2,880 3,220
2001 770 3,020 3,300
2002 790 2,990 3,280
2003 810 3,080 3,280
2004 830 3,150 1,310
2005 980 3,230 1,270
2006 1,130 3,290 1,260
2007 1,110 3,370 1,310
2008 1,320 3,480 1,290
2009 2,500 3,110 1,390

1. Figures are rounded to the nearest 10.

2. Benefits are arranged hierarchically and claimants are assigned to the topmost benefit which they receive.

3. JSA: Claimant of jobseeker's allowance.

4. IB/SDA: Claimant of either incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance.

5. Income Support: Claimants include lone parents and those not included in the IB/SDA figure.

6. Most existing minimum income guarantee cases (1.8 million) were migrated to pension credit when it was introduced in October 2003. Some residual cases remain.

7. This data does not include claimants of employment and support allowance introduced from October 2008.


DWP Information Directorate: Work and Pensions Longitudinal Study.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.