Social Security Benefits: Armed Forces

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 10th February 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Theresa May Theresa May Shadow Minister (Women), Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how the spouse of a serving member of the armed forces is treated for the purposes of claiming jobseeker's allowance in circumstances where that person has left a previous employment owing to the relocation of the serving member of the armed forces.

Photo of Jim Knight Jim Knight Minister of State (the South West), Regional Affairs, Minister of State (the South West), Department for Work and Pensions, Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (South West), The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Spouses of service personnel who leave their employment to follow their partner will have just cause for doing so, provided they do not leave earlier than is reasonably necessary in order to arrange the move. This means that they will not be precluded from receiving jobseekers allowance on the grounds of voluntary unemployment.

Leaving employment in order to move home is specifically covered in the decision makers guide.

A copy of the guide is available in the Library and is available on the Department for Work and Pensions' website at:

Each case is considered on an individual basis with regard to the relevant legislation and the information provided by the person claiming jobseekers allowance.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.