Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Departmental Recruitment

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 10th February 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd Shadow Minister (Cabinet Office)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many job vacancies in her Department and its agencies were filled through external recruitment in the last year for which figures are available.

Photo of Jonathan R Shaw Jonathan R Shaw Minister of State (Disabled People), Regional Affairs, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Disabled People), Department for Work and Pensions

The following table shows the number of vacancies, expressed on a full time equivalent basis, filled through external recruitment by the Department and its Agencies during the Departmental financial year ending 31 March 2009.

Business area Total
Jobcentre Plus Pensions, 8,667
Disability and Carers Service 1,086
Child Support Agency 459
Core Department 749
Total 10,961

1. Information for The Child Support Agency is up to 30 October 2008. The Agency transferred to the Child Maintenance Enforcement Commission on 1 November 2008.

2. Figures include all permanent and temporary Civil Service staff and are shown on a full time equivalent basis as this best represents the number of posts that were filled.

3. In addition to normal recruitment during 2008/09, additional staff were recruited to support the introduction of the Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and during the last quarter to deal with rising workloads in Jobcentre Plus as a result of the economic downturn.

4. Additional staff continued to be recruited during the first six months of the 2009-10 financial year to address increasing workloads. The majority of these staff were engaged on a fixed term or temporary contract basis.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.