Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 10th February 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Anne Main Anne Main Conservative, St Albans

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how much his Department spent on hotel accommodation for (a) Ministers, (b) special advisers and (c) officials of his Department in each of the last five years.

Photo of Dan Norris Dan Norris Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

A centralised booking service contract was introduced in the core department in late 2006-07, from which the information stated has been taken and therefore only covers the period January to March 2007 of the 2006-07 year. Information prior to this date and hotel accommodation used but not reserved through the central booking service contract could be provided only at disproportionate cost.

April 2006 to March 2007 87,950
April 2007 to March 2008 358, 866
April 2008 to March 2009 541,311
April 2009 to November 2009 399,140

Information on the split of hotel expenditure between Ministers, special advisers and civil servants could be provided only at disproportionate cost. Travel by Ministers and special advisers, and civil servants is undertaken in accordance with the Ministerial Code and the Civil Service Management Code respectively. The Cabinet Office produces annual lists of overseas trips undertaken by Ministers costing over £500.

These can be accessed at:

The list for 2008-09 was published on 16 July 2009. This and earlier lists are available in the Library of the House.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.