Electoral Register: Second Homes

Electoral Commission Committee written question – answered on 25th January 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stewart Jackson Stewart Jackson Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the hon. Member for South-West Devon, representing the Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission what guidance the Electoral Commission provides to second home owners on their eligibility to register to vote in their electoral area of their second home.

Photo of Gary Streeter Gary Streeter Conservative, South West Devon

The Electoral Commission informs me that general guidance is provided on its website at:


This explains that the decision to register an elector rests with the local electoral registration officer (ERO) who will consider the circumstances of each case. Paying council tax on a second home does not qualify a person for registration in that area. The guidance directs people to contact their ERO for clarification.

The Commission's guidance manual for EROs contains advice on registering electors in respect of a second address.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.