Asylum: Housing

Home Department written question – answered on 25th January 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stewart Jackson Stewart Jackson Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department with reference to the answer to the hon. Member for Bromley and Chislehurst of 21 October 2009, Official Report, column 1529W, on asylum: housing, what the policy is of (a) the UK Border Agency and (b) its suppliers on housing asylum seekers in vacant (i) council and (ii) housing association housing.

Photo of Phil Woolas Phil Woolas Minister of State (the North West), Home Office, Minister of State (the North West), HM Treasury, Minister of State (the North West), Regional Affairs

The UK Border Agency contracts with public and private sector organisation for the provision of accommodation for asylum seekers. It only pays for these services, on a per person per day basis, when accommodation is actually occupied and it is the responsibility of the suppliers to provide suitable accommodation. The UK Border Agency does not stipulate that vacant council housing or housing association dwelling should be used for asylum seekers. How public sector providers use their available housing stock is a matter for them.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.