Departmental Pay

Justice written question – answered on 25th January 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Vincent Cable Vincent Cable Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice how many staff in his Department received bonus payments in 2008; what proportion of the total work force they represented; what the total amount of bonuses paid was; what the largest single payment was; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Jack Straw Jack Straw The Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice

Non-consolidated performance pay may be awarded either at the 'end of year' or 'in year'. For staff in grades below the senior civil service (SCS) the 'end of year' non-consolidated performance pay awards are made as part of the annual pay award to staff whose performance over the course of the year has been judged as outstanding/exceeded expectations under the relevant performance management system.

Awards of 'in year' non-consolidated performance payments are made to staff in recognition of specific contributions during the year over and above the contribution expected for someone in a particular role.

The following table provides details of both 'in year' and 'end of year' payments for staff in grades below the SCS.

2008 Type of non-consolidated payment Number of staff awarded payment Percentage of the eligible staff receiving payment Highest payment (£) Total value of payments (£)
Ministry (excluding National Offender Management Service) 'end of year' 1,608 15.08 1,200 1,929,600
'in year' 6,135 22 5,675 2,566,120
HM Prison Service and the NOMS HQ 'end of year' 5,332 32 809 1,325,952
'in year' 5,538 10 5,000 2,575,912

Payments made to staff with the Probation Services are not included

During 2008 the Ministry awarded 159 senior civil servants non-consolidated performance related payments. This represented 65 per cent. of eligible staff. The total amount awarded was £1,648,000 and the largest award made was £25,000.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.