Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency: Databases

Transport written question – answered on 11th January 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bob Russell Bob Russell Opposition Whip (Commons), Shadow Minister (Defence)

To ask the Minister of State, Department for Transport which (a) police forces, (b) other public agencies and (c) private companies are permitted access to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency database to obtain (i) details of vehicle registration numbers, (ii) names of licence holders and (iii) private addresses of licence holders.

Photo of Paul Clark Paul Clark Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport

No organisation has direct access into the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) records.

Information from both the driver and vehicle record is provided daily to the National Police Improvement Agency for inclusion on the Police National Computer system for use by all police forces. All other requests for information are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Private addresses of driving licence holders may be provided to public agencies with the consent of the individual or if they have a statutory right to it e.g. HM Revenue and Customs, the Child Support Agency and the Department for Work and Pensions. These requests generally relate to law enforcement activities.

DVLA does not provide the name or address details of licence holders to any private companies, only details relating to their driving entitlement and endorsements. Employers, recruitment agencies and private companies, such as car hire companies, may make a request for details of a driver record if they have the consent of the individual and provide their name, address and date of birth.

Vehicle registration numbers need to be provided to the DVLA in order for a search of the vehicle record to be made. Therefore, DVLA does not disclose details of vehicle registration numbers from the vehicle record.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.